Serendipity. Great word. It means a “fortunate happenstance” or “pleasant surprise.” It was coined by good ol’ Horace Walpole back in 1754.
I’m sure you all knew that.
Why serendipity? It helps explain this post.
My last post was about leaving comments, which made me think of fortune cookies. Why? Because they contain little comments. So to speak.
I found one where you can submit actual fortunes received in a cookie. I did some calorie-free browsing, and selected 14 that made me stop and think, and another two that made me laugh. Here they are, along with some brief commentary:
1. The project on your mind will soon gain momentum.
2. Beauty is simply beauty. Originality is magical.
3. You don’t need talent to gain experience.
4. Too many people volunteer to carry the stool when it’s time to move the piano.
5. You are what you are; understand yourself before you react.
We can’t “cure” a personality trait. But if we acknowledge a certain emotional tendency (a quick temper, for example), we can stay vigilant– and hopefully keep it from sabotaging us during a moment of crisis.
6. One of the best ways to persuade others is with your ears–by listening to them.
7. Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
8. The ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but to hold hands.
9. People enjoy having you around. Appreciate this.
Quick story: I once worked for an insurance company as a programmer-analyst. I was one of the lesser lights in the department. One day, feeling down, I told someone, “I don’t feel like I contribute very much.” The person (who wasn’t a close friend) said to me very seriously: “But you make people laugh– and that’s so important.” I was speechless. I can think of many people I enjoy having around. I bet you can, too.
10. The measure of time to your next goal is the measure of your discipline.
11. When you can’t naturally feel upbeat it can sometimes help you to act as if you did.
Easier said than done, but worth a try. There have been many studies which have concluded that acting a certain way can affect your mood.
12. Customer service is like taking a bath: you have to keep doing it.
13. Isn’t there something else you should be working on right now?
14. You don’t get harmony when everyone sings the same note.
15. Rarely do great beauty and great virtue dwell together as they do in you.
16. I am a fortune. You just broke my little house. Where will I live now?
Do you always crack open your fortune cookie and read the fortune? Do you ever actually eat the cookie??
Ever gotten a fortune that “spoke” to you, or came true? Care to share it?
Has anyone ever gotten the fabled “Help! I’m being held prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory!!” ??
If you enjoyed this post, please click the Like button below.
If you’d like to share this post with others, please click Tweet or Facebook or one of the other Share buttons.