My, What Big Sand Traps You Have, Grandma: Mason Rudolph Tribute
I started with a moody red pattern with noirish overtones. I’d recently read that if
you’re working in Photoshop, it doesn’t really matter what color you start with– you
can always change it easily later on using Photoshop’s adjustment tools.
I needed a golf green, and found this photo by Swedish photographer Per Pettersson on Stock.XCHNG.
I had previously colorized and enhanced an old B&W photo of Mason Rudolph, and you can see how it was done in this earlier post. Here’s the before and after:
I used the Elliptical Marquee tool and the Pen tool to select out the green and flag. I lightened the green using a Hue/Saturation adjustment, and cloned out the “18″ on the flag. Then I pasted the green and the enhanced photo of Mason Rudolph into my main document.
I also pasted in a pair of thick-framed glasses which I’d previously isolated as seen
in the earlier post. I copied the “whites” of the glasses, pasted them onto a new layer, and used the Transform tools to change them into a pair of sand traps.
The “gimmick” here was to have the sand traps morph down into Mason’s glasses. I copied the original pair of glasses and pasted them onto new layers. I used the Free Transform tool to stretch them out, tweaking them as needed until the morphing progression looked right. I copied Mason’s eyes and began layering them beneath the glasses.
Clearly I needed to change the background– it looked terrible. I deleted the clouds,
and applied a Hue/Saturation adjustment to transform my original pattern from
red to green. I lightened it a little with a Curves adjustment. I decided to add some extra texture in the form of sidewalk concrete:
I pasted the concrete above what was now the green pattern, and set the blending mode of the concrete layer to Multiply to allow the green pattern to show through. I used a layer mask to reduce the concrete’s visibility in certain areas of the main document. Here’s how it looked in the Layers window:
I applied a Gaussian Blur (2 pixels), added a bit of Film Grain, and applied a Photo Filter to give it a sepia tint. I pasted it into the main document, and used a layer mask to hide unwanted parts of the photo. The Layers window looked like this:
I noticed the bottom half of Mason’s glasses (the ones he’s actually wearing) looked grimy rather than translucent. I selected that part of the glasses and created a Gradient adjustment layer: color White, low opacity, applied bottom to top.
I accessed the Layer Style window and added a small drop shadow and bevel and emboss to help define the lower part of the glasses.
Finally I used the Eraser tool with a goofy, streaky brush to take the hard edges off the image border, and give it a little grungy character. Kinda looks like duct tape residue– a happy accident. Here’s the final result, all feedback welcome.