A short post inspired by a coincidence.
A recent assignment included a “star” illustration to depict 5 key elements in performance art: body (who), action (what), effort (how), space (where), relationship (connection to people or things).
Here’s the coincidence: those same 5 words can also be used to describe 5 keys to success in today’s business world.
They apply to designers and other freelance contractors (illustrators like myself).
1. Body: You’ve got to take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, get enough sleep. Don’t let the job steal away your health.
2. Action: As in be proactive. Get the training you need. Practice. Learn new things. Market yourself: research prospective clients before reaching out to them.
3. Effort: “If you don’t get what you want, it’s a sign either that you did not seriously want it, or that you tried to bargain over the price.” –Rudyard Kipling, writer
4. Space: As in cyberspace. Nobody just buys anything anymore. They do online research. You’ve got to have a web presence and a digital strategy.
5. Relationship: Build trust. Create content that demonstrates your expertise. Promote it on social media sites. Personalize emails and connection requests.
Care to suggest a sixth principle for success? Please leave a comment.
If you enjoyed this post and would like to recommend it, please click the Like button below. To share it, click Tweet, Facebook, or one of the other Share buttons.
You might also enjoy this post about customer service. It includes an infographic that shows the key elements of Amazon’s extremely successful customer service program.
About Mark: I’m an illustrator specializing in humor, branding, social media, and content marketing. I create images that get content seen and shared.
Questions? Send me an email.