Skip to content

He Never Got To Shoot An Elephant In His Pajamas

April 1, 2011

The latest Strange Suits from Inside Counsel Magazine. They send me summaries
of four unusual lawsuits, I sketch out four ideas, they pick the one they like best.

And the latest winner is… a suit involving a tour company which arranges hunting expeditions in Zimbabwe, one of the few African countries where elephant hunting
is still legal. A man is suing the company after two safaris with no kill. The company claims elephant excrement should have made the animals easy to track.

Here’s the final, scroll down to see all four rough sketches.lawsuit cartoon about a guy who went on a safari in Africa and sued the travel company because he didn't get a chance to shoot an elephant

A man is suing his employer over verbal abuse. He claims his boss’s voice made him physically ill, and that he also had to see a therapist because of the abuse.courtroom cartoon about a case involving verbal abuse and a man who claimed his boss's voice made him physically ill

A company which makes nail polish is suing the company which makes the bottles
the nail polish comes in. The former had to recall its product because the bottles were exploding on store shelves. It claims the bottles were defective. The bottle company denies the claim which it considers “melodramatic.”courtroom cartoon about a nail polish manufacturer which sued because of defective bottles which caused its product to explode on store shelves

A couple living in an apartment building sued their next-door neighbor, a retiree who smokes cigars, claiming the cigar fumes made their children sick. The retiree has agreed to henceforth take his evening smoke on the street. Under the settlement, he
can be fined $2000 anytime he lights up in his apartment.courtroom cartoon about a case where a couple claimed their children were sickened by the cigar smoking of the man in the next apartment

And here’s the original sketch for the elephant hunting case:lawsuit cartoon about a guy who went on a safari in Africa and sued the travel company because he didn't get a chance to shoot an elephant

10 Comments leave one →
  1. April 1, 2011 10:51 PM

I enjoy the facial expressions!

2. April 4, 2011 10:54 PM

The Strange Suits are my favorite! (Though I am always impressed by ALL your work!) The reality of human existence is waaay more hilarious than most of us could possibly come up with in fiction or imagination. I am envious of your talent at illustrating it so well!

• April 5, 2011 10:27 AM

Thank you, Professor! Human existence and humor– yes, they seem to be synonymous… : ) My sincere thanks for being such a kind, cheery, and supportive humanoid. In turn, I envy your ability to write so engagingly on so many diverse topics! : )

3. April 5, 2011 3:04 AM

Hi Mark,
    I’m Josè Pascal and I write from Italy. Your blog and your drawings are fantastic. It’s very interesting. Have a nice life!

• April 5, 2011 10:35 AM

Thank you, my friend. I sincerely appreciate your very kind comments. It’s cold and rainy here in New Hampshire, USA, but I know it’s always sunny and beautiful in Italy– ciao! : )

4. April 18, 2011 1:52 PM

I love it every time you transform words into visual images! =D

elephant excrement should have made the animals easy to track – this is really funny. I had a good laugh!

• April 19, 2011 5:11 PM

I never expected to be drawing elephant excrement, but– a good illustrator must be prepared for anything! Some things are a lot funnier in a cartoon than they are in real life… : ) I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and thank you for your very kind comment!

5. soul . to . earth permalink
    October 10, 2013 11:12 AM

I like your courtroom sketches the best – wunderbar! The elephant in the suit is hilarious.

yeah…..the right to seek justice is sometimes trivialized for greed or just plain stupidity. [United Sue-tates of America?]

• October 11, 2013 9:50 AM

The United Sue-tates of America… I like it!! Yes, it seems to sum up what our great country is all about… : P

The elephant in the suit! Glad you pointed him out. I’ve always been partial to slipping in small background jokes. I do think a nice suit makes an elephant look respectable. Of course, it also makes it a lot harder for him to get cast in Tarzan movies… : )

Make me happy-- leave a comment! : )

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s