Skip to content

Joe Castillo’s Face Of Christ

October 27, 2011

A friend of mine sent me a copy of  The Face of Christ by Joe Castillo. I was enormously impressed. As you can see, the artist has incorporated major events from Christ’s life and ministry into the drawing, mostly in the beard and hair.

The rolled away stone of the empty tomb corresponds nicely to where the ear would be, and the stars in the eyes provide a sense of scale for the Star of Bethlehem, which is tucked into the shadow of the nose. I think my favorite touch is using the Sea of Galilee and its mountain backdrop for the right eyebrow.   pen & ink drawing of the face of Jesus Christ by sand artist Joe Castillo who incorporated scenes from the life and death of Christ into the portrait making them actual parts of the face

Here’s a key to the events depicted, along with each corresponding Bible verse (which I verified separately). I found the information on this tribute site.pen & ink drawing of the face of Jesus Christ by sand artist Joe Castillo who incorporated scenes from the life and death of Christ into the portrait making them actual parts of the face, with the corresponding gospel scripture passages from the Bible added

Mr. Castillo is known principally as a sand artist. The term conjures up visions of large sculptures at a beach, but what Mr. Castillo does is very different: using his hands, he draws pictures in sand spread on a light table. The images are projected on a screen for the audience. Sound intriguing? You might want to check out some video clips of Joe Castillo creating sand story art.blank vertical space, 24 pixels high

What do you think? Has Joe Castillo crafted something special? Does The Face of Christ speak to you on an artistic or spiritual level? Hope you’ll leave a comment.

And if you enjoyed this post, I invite you to subscribe. Just click on the Subscribe button below the Portfolio Thumbnails in the sidebar at the top right of this page.blank vertical space, 24 pixels high

Other Posts You Might Enjoy:

Ring Around The Rosary, We All Stand Together

Honest To Gosh Singing Caricatures

Please Throw Money– We’re Broke!

footer for all future blog posts showing picture of blog author Mark Armstrong, along with short bio and contact information

blank vertical space, 16 pixels highblank vertical space, 40 pixels high

About these ads
17 Comments leave one →
  1. October 27, 2011 11:38 AM

It’s really clever and amazing how it was done. Depicting the story of Christ as illustrations which link together to make up the face reminds me a bit of how text illustration is produced, but in a whole new and better perspective.

But when looking at the drawing, it really doesn’t look like it was done using a chunky marker pen (as seen in the video). The details are wonderful, I can see why you were so impressed with it.

• October 27, 2011 4:15 PM

Always nice to see you, Sabine. You’re right– he musta switched markers! No way he could get some of those fine lines with a “chunky”… : )

Yes, quite amazing all the illustration talent out there– take yourself, for example… : )

Many thanks for stopping by!

2. October 27, 2011 1:12 PM

Hi Mark,
    I have never heard of Joe Castillo but now I have seen his sand art I’m very impressed. I watched one video and enjoyed watching the process he uses very much. I appreciate Castillo’s art on an artistic level but it does nothing for me spirtiually as I’m not a Christian.

• October 27, 2011 5:10 PM

Yes, sand art– man, just when you think you’ve seen every art form… I always had trouble using an overhead projector without the sand! : (

Re your beliefs: you’re perfect just the way you are. It’s interesting, tho– your kind and altruistic nature is very Christ-like, if I may say so. Many thanks for stopping by.

3. October 28, 2011 9:55 PM

All I can say is WOW! That is incredibly utterly brilliant!

What an amazing talent!

Thanks for sharing this one, Mark!

• October 29, 2011 8:29 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, Inge, and I agree: it’s a brilliant piece of work. It’s easy to forget sometimes that all great art has to begin with an idea, a vision. It’s an extraordinary concept, and it boggles the mind to think of the time and effort that must have gone into laying the whole thing out. As always, thanks for your support! : )

4. Rev Marie permalink
    August 8, 2012 6:17 AM

Wow this is amazing. Wackyrev

• August 8, 2012 7:59 AM

It certainly is. I’d love to know how Mr. Castillo mapped out each section en route to the finished design. A remarkable creation.

Glad you enjoyed it, many thanks for stopping by!

5. algipoo permalink
    August 30, 2012 4:26 PM

As amazing as Joe Castillo’s work is, I really think that by displaying Christ to America, he lost the competition, that is just the way our culture is today so Anti- Christ… Prayer out, Christmas or Nativity out… The term one nation under God is becoming politically wrong, tolerance in everything but excepting anything that has to do with Christ. You watch and see the unfolding– I hope I am wrong!

• August 31, 2012 1:07 PM

It’s easy to become discouraged, and I understand your frustration: our modern secular culture never tires of preaching tolerance, but that doesn’t seem to extend to religion, especially Christianity, which is regularly mocked by the intelligensia.

I’m not privy to Mr. Castillo’s thoughts, but I suspect he is sustained by Christ’s words: “If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.” (Jn 15:18) As well as: “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” (Mt 28:20) Things haven’t changed much in the last 2000 years. Christ’s words should help sustain us, too. We must battle on and be of good cheer.

Many thanks for stopping by, my friend! : )

6. September 8, 2012 12:02 AM

Fantastic work. Thanks for sharing.

7. September 14, 2012 7:38 PM

A creative combination. The person who made this must be a genius.

• September 18, 2012 7:47 AM

Agreed. Mr. Castillo is clearly a genius– which gives him something in common with you and me… : )

Glad you enjoyed the post, many thanks for stopping by!

8. D. H. Bowdler permalink
    July 27, 2013 1:16 PM

I was at a church sale and purchased the face of Christ by Joe Castillo but it is not the one that is shown here. It looks like, to me, that it might have been the initial first rendition of the face. It is not near as complex as the one shown on this page. At the lower right of the stone and continuing on to the entire bottom of the stone is imprinted: Seek the Lord and His Strength; Seek His Face Continually. Psalm 105:4. At the bottom of the stone is imprinted The Tennessee Mint and a marking I cannot distinguish.

Can you tell me something about this work of art?

• July 29, 2013 10:33 AM

I checked Mr. Castillo’s website. There’s a page which mentions the Tennessee Mint as follows: “The Face of Christ depicts His story from a humble birth in a stable to His resurrection. This drawing was formerly featured on a marble plaque sold extensively throughout the United States by the Tennessee Mint.”

There’s another page entitled About The Face Of Christ. It says the “true story” behind the drawing is a “personal drama of bitterness, despair and ultimately, forgiveness and restoration.” Joe wrote a book about it, and it seems that in order to learn the true story, one has to buy the book. However, you can see a snippet of the story here.

Hope this helps. Many thanks for your interest and your comment.

Care to comment? I'd love to have your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,980 other followers