Roll Out The Guillotine: Time To Behead My Old Header
I used bits and pieces of six different illustrations. I put them all on separate layers in Photoshop, then blended them together by painting on layer masks with low-opacity brushes. I added new text especially for the header.
I was pretty excited about using the business card to get my name up there. Here’s what the original looked like: an illustration for Inside Counsel Magazine about the career paths of new law school graduates. The card is a parody of the old Community Chest cards found in the famous board game, Monopoly.
I decided that keeping the yellow would make the card harder to read, so I deleted it in favor of plain white, and added new text. I also deleted the strip of blue which grounded the original illustration. Now it looked like this:
The actual header that you see at the top of this blog is quite small: 920 pixels wide by 180 pixels high. I was working on a much larger scale, but even so, the Card illustration was much taller than the header.
After pasting the Card into the header, I had to scale it down to make it fit. Since they’re connected, the woman holding the card was scaled down proportionately. The result was a serious visibility problem: the woman was much too small compared to the other images in the header.
My first thought was to bang my head on the wall. Fortunately, my second thought was this is Photoshop– there’s always a workaround.
And it was fairly simple: go back to the original layered file, make a couple of copies, and reconstruct the card and the woman as two separate images. I’ve simulated the result below, showing the gap that now exists between them.
If you enjoyed this post, I invite you to subscribe. You can either leave a comment and click the box that says Notify me of new posts via email, or click on the Subscribe button below the Portfolio Thumbnails in the sidebar at the top right of this page.
Other Posts You Might Enjoy: